Friday, October 4, 2013
Community event #1 Exploratorium
So I went to the Exploratorium and had a good time. it is a little overwhelming there in that there are so many gadgets and things that you kind of don't know where to start. I mean you could spend a week trying everything out and there would still be more to do. everything in there did get you in touch with your senses like hearing, touching, sight, etc. it also showcases technology like uses for electricity, magnets, and light refraction.
I did find some interesting things relating to technology and art though. the "found faces" is an enjoyable collection of facial expressions found in inanimate objects. very comical and full of personality. I wont look at a sink or dryer in the same way again!
another artist did some cool contour drawings that look like 3D landscapes that you can touch only to see that it is a 2D image. the toothpick sculptures were impressive as well. the artist made his biggest sculpture interactive in that he created paths within the sculpture that he could send Ping-Pong balls on a rolling journey.
there was a massive concave mirror, like something NASA would use, that when you approached it you would appear in hyper detail and your reflection appeared in front of you as a 3D reflection. the last thing I found really cool was an artist created these really neat wind-up mechanical puppet sculptures. I cant remember the name of the type of art that it is but he inspired young people and there were some others that were made by 10 year olds that were really cool as well. it was basic mechanical gears and pulleys in miniature form that activated comical little characters to act out movements. very creative!
I would recommend everyone check this place out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment