Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tourism

  after reading the interview with Dean MacCannel, I would have to agree with a few points. I agree that tourism has been pilfered by capitalism and that the experience tourists get has been altered to maximize the tourist's ideal experience. the examples of the Haight Ashbury and China town is right on. these places have historical significance but are now altered to showcase a now generic version of these highlights that made these places famous. it is sad that the historical significance is now totally lost to its visitors. instead they get the version based around selling trinkets and gifts that say that "they" were at these places.
  when I visit these places I cant help but think how fake it is. china towns shops are all identical and sell the same trinkets in every shop. there is nothing unique. about these shops. its just a colorful place to walk through. there is a surreal feeling I get, like I  stepped into a Chinese outlet store.
  SF is a tourist city that is going to capitalize on such attractions. this is what brings business to the city and puts food on the city's resident's plates. so I cant rip to hard on these cheesy tourist "traps."

No comments:

Post a Comment